Thursday 4 December 2014

Harmony

During a phone conversation with my Dad,
we were discussing my recent winter/holiday illustrations
and he mentioned the following word:
Harmony
www.dictionary.com says:
 
harmony [hahr'-muh-nee], noun:
1. agreement; accord; harmonious relations.
2. a consistent, orderly, or pleasing arrangement of parts; congruity.
3.Music.
  1. any simultaneous combination of tones.
  2. the simultaneous combination of tones, especially when blended into chords pleasing to the ear; chordal structure, as distinguished from melody and rhythm.
  3. the science of the structure, relations, and practical combination of chords.

Dad feels "harmony" is a word that sums up the spirit of the holidays.
We talked about it a little more and before I knew it I had picked up
a pencil and began sketching out some woodland animals 
singing together  - in 4-part harmony!

I found a favourite Christmas song - "Carol of the Bells"
complete with notation for Soprano Alto, Tenor, and Bass...

I placed my illustration atop this sheet music and voila!


     
"Harmony"
(watercolour, sheet music, approx. 6.5' x 6.5")


If I were to put this on a holiday card front I think the interior sentiment would be:

"Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas!"
or
"May your holiday season be harmonious!"

Look around and see what you can do to lend some harmony to this festive season!
Wishing you all the best - always!
Cath-

No comments: